Monday, September 3, 2012

Birthday Parties

My son recently turned 2 and lots of mental energy was expended trying to figure out how to celebrate his birthday.  My wife and I like to keep things simple, we are the type that would rather spend money on an experience as opposed to a thing, and that is a value we hope to pass on to our son.  It is a struggle however, to not get all caught up in spending, spending, spending as a way to celebrate.  There are endless ways to watch your budget get surpassed with bounce houses, clowns, and slides - oh my! 

Another issue is gifts. This day is about celebrating him; does that have to be with piles and piles of presents? Is there some magical amount of presents he needs to get to feel valued and celebrated?  Can that even be quantified?  I also don’t want friends to feel pressure to have to arrive with a gift, not to mention setting a limit on the amount of stuff that will ultimately get piled in different corners around the house.  As a person who strives to live simply, I am still amazed at the amount of plastic toys (mostly reused & recycled) that has entered my life in these past two years.  I want him to get special things, things that I think he will really enjoy but as I watch him take great joy in playing with the box and plastic bags the reusable popsicles sticks came in or the mud puddle on the way to the playground, I question the concept of special.  Whose idea of special are we really talking about?  What’s important to him?

In the end, I did manage to reel myself back in. It was pizza, homemade cake and ice cream in the backyard.  The guest list narrowed down to the closest of friends and a request made to not bring presents.  He got some stuff, a wooden sand box and a new bike, gifts that came early and were from family.  A few friends ignored our request and came with gifts, a rake, a toy car and motorcycle, and his new favorite toy, a previously loved wooden doll house from his young friend on our street.

Most importantly, I hope that he got an early lesson in doing more with less.  What else could a Credit Union mama ask for?

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite birthday parties was one where my mom organized a treasure hunt... many of my family members (mom, dad, grandma, older brother, friends of my parents) participated, and we went all over our farm, from person to person, getting hints from each one about the location of the next clue-giver, until we found the treasure. I don't remember any of the presents I got that day, but I remember feeling very special that my family took the time and care to do such a fun and creative activity.

    ReplyDelete