Monday, September 17, 2012

A Bigger Car

In the pursuit of living simply, I have actually succeeded in making my life more complicated.  Well, I might just be acting overly dramatic. 

Here is the ridiculous story.  When I first told my boss that I was getting married and one day would probably have children, after nearly falling off her chair she proceeded to tell (and tease) me how I was going to need a mini-van.  Now I know that some people love their mini-vans… great for you!  It is just not the vehicle for me.  I was pretty adamant with her that I would NEVER own a mini-van, even signed a paper stating that fact which probably still exists in my personnel file. 

So in an effort to prove her completely wrong, my wife and I purchased the smallest car we could find.  Well, not really.  We bought a Nissan Versa.  It is a decent economical car, pretty good on gas, and for its class of hatchbacks, fairly roomy in the back.  In our day to day life, it works pretty well for our family.  I mean, we have to finagle the recycling and trash in the back and give a push on the boxes before quickly slamming the door shut. 
Our problems have arisen when we travel.  This summer we took a few camping trips, and we had to pack around our son.  Literally.  The softer items went on top so that in the event of shifting he wasn’t bonked in the head with a cooking stove.  And truth be told it isn’t his stuff that is taking up so much room, it is ours.  Yes we are camping but that doesn’t mean we can’t sleep in comfort.  And this isn’t to mention how the back of the car sank down dramatically when we loaded our bikes on the back.  Yikes!  Sorry struts or shocks or whatever is back there.
 
So we need a bigger car.  And it is indeed a need, not a want.  We are a one car family, we don’t even like to drive.  When traveling we like to arrive at our destination, unpack and then travel by bicycle.  We also have been car-payment-free for the past year, snowballing that payment into other debt.  Knowing that it takes a village, I would love to get your thoughts.  Does it make sense to get a car just for vacations?  Is there something else we are missing here?  And, if we must get a car (thinking Honda CRV size), any recommendations? 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, so I was recently reading your blog on a "bigger car" and I have to tell you, my partner and I each have our own vehicles but decided that one of us should upgrade, to a "bigger car". We had a Toyota echo. We now have a Toyota Scion Xa and it's 4 doors and roomy. Cute little thing if you ask me. My only concern with you camping, is that the trunk isn't of much size, but it would defiantly be bigger then your current car, and you would still recieve great gas mileage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered a enclosed luggage box, such as a Thule? This is removable, can be lockable, and will be less expensive than investing in another vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there-
    Thanks for joining in on the conversation! I really appreciate the insights you have shared. We have considered a luggage box and it is definitely on the list of options. My only concern is how much weight the car can take, with luggage on the top and bikes on the back. I know that the rack & box could then be transfered to the next car. So why not drive this one into the ground! And of course, the bikes or at least one could go on top. Hummmmm....lots to consider and it feels good to have options!
    Thanks,
    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unless these trips are more than a couple times a year, what about renting a larger car as necessary? Fairly easy to budget for that. You wouldn't be paying a car loan, more insurance, more excise, etc. If the Versa works well for your everyday needs, just not for your extraordinary needs, why not work with it? (I've been driving a similar subcompact for 6 years and find that there's always a way, unless large furniture is involved!)

    ReplyDelete